- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 3 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, clarified
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugarsyrup
- pistachios for garnish
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Pulse the nuts, cinnamon & sugar in a food processor until you reach a slightly coarse consistency.
- With a pastry brush begin by brushing the bottom of a 9X13 pan.
- Layer 8 sheets of phyllo dough, making sure to brush butter between each one.
- Spread half of the nut mixture.
- Layer 4 more sheets of phyllo dough.
- Spread the remaining half of the nut mixture.
- Top with the remaining 12 sheets of phyllo, making sure to brush the top layer with butter as well.
- Slice the baklava into small diamonds (approx 24-32).
- Bake for at least 2 hours until slightly golden brown on top.
- Pour cooled syrup over the baklava as soon as it comes out of the oven and allow to come to room temperature again before serving.
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 1 strip of orange peel (optional)
- Bring ingredients to a simmer over medium heat.
- Continue cooking over low heat until mixture becomes syrupy (approximately 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Courtesy of: http://www.antoniotahhan.com/2008/12/27/baklava-with-mom/